Seawolf 5th Line will support, advise and work collaboratively with UAA administration, the community and the student body, as appropriate to:
- Establish short- and long-term plans and goals associated with solidifying and growing the overall brand, sustainability and impact of UAA Hockey locally, regionally and nationally.
- Provide a stable foundation on which to build a viable, sustainable, successful and exciting hockey program at UAA.
- Provide financial and leadership support to the UAA Hockey program.
- Foster and promote goodwill and fraternal spirit to maintain and promote high standards of scholarship, integrity and good sportsmanship in the hockey program.
The UA Board of Regents voted to eliminate hockey, gymnastics and alpine skiing from UAA after the 2020-21 school year in order to reduce the university’s overall budget. However, the board offered an opportunity to reinstate the sports programs if supporters could raise enough funds to cover two years of operating expenses. For the hockey program, the amount needed was $3 million: $1.5 million for the 2021-22 season and an additional $1.5 million for the 2022-23 season.
A collection of hockey boosters, alumni, fans and community members dedicated to saving Seawolf hockey from elimination created a volunteer group called Save Seawolf Hockey to coordinate the fundraising efforts.
Save Seawolf Hockey’s short-term vision was to raise $3 million by Feb. 2021 in-order to meet the Board of Regents directive. The group’s long-term vision was to obtain pledge dollars and provide support to sustain the program in perpetuity.
On Feb. 25, 2021 the Board of Regents approved an extension to the fundraising deadline to August 30, 2021. The extension came with an agreement between UA leadership and hockey supporters that the following will occur:
- supporters must raise the full amount to cover two years of operating expenses ($3 million), and
- supporters also must raise the full amount to reinstate the UAA gymnastics program ($444,000 by June 30, 2021 and $444,000 by June 30, 2022) due to Title IX requirements.
Save Seawolf Hockey successfully raised the $3 million needed by the extended deadline to protect the program from elimination. Upon reaching its goal, Save Seawolf Hockey transitioned to Seawolf 5th Line to continue working toward its mission.