Seawolves Fall to UMASS in First Historical Matchup

By Avery Williamson 


Though the Seawolves couldn’t secure a victory over the No. 11 ranked Minutemen, the team learned a lot from the matchup. 

After traveling more than 4,000 miles to face the University of Massachusetts on Dec. 8 and 9 for the first time in history, the Seawolves fell short of victory. But all is not lost. 

While winning is always the goal, UAA learned a lot from competing against the No. 11 nationally-ranked team. 

“The first game had a lot of learning opportunities,” said Head Coach Matt Shasby. “UMASS was a team that executed in all aspects of the game.” 

Lacing up the first night, the Seawolves struggled to find their groove while the Minutemen were on a hot streak, scoring five goals in the opening period. 

When they returned to the ice for the second period, the Seawolves were determined to score. 

Max Helgeson wasted no time boosting his team’s morale and scored only 10 seconds into the period.

The teams battled closely for the next seven minutes. However, the Minutemen were the next to connect with the net and reestablish the goal differential they generated in the first period. 

UAA’s Riley Thompson responded two minutes later with his third goal of the season. 

Eventually, UMASS added one more goal and skated into the locker room with a 7-2 lead over the Seawolves. 

The Minutemen didn’t let off the third and had another dominant period–adding four goals to end the game with an 11-2 victory.  

After a tough loss the first night, the Seawolves regrouped to give the Minutemen a run for their money the next day. 

“We made a couple of key adjustments on the defensive side of the puck that allowed us to limit their scoring opportunities,” said Shasby. 

These adjustments proved to be effective, but a win was just out of reach as the Seawolves lost by one goal. 

Unlike the night before, the Seawolves were the first to get on the scoreboard. 

Matt Kinash helped the team take the early lead a little over six minutes into the game. 

UMASS responded three minutes later with a goal of their own to tie the game 1-1 as they entered the second period. 

After a scoreless second period and most of the third, the Minutemen scored a pair of goals to take a 3-1 lead over the Seawolves with just minutes left in the game. This forced UAA to pull their goalie. 

Adding another attacker to the ice paid off for the Seawolves, with Ben Almquist finding the net to get the team within one point. 

However, the Seawolves weren’t able to score again before the final buzzer and UMASS skated away with a 3-2 win. 

The Seawolves have played the most games in the NCAA so far. Shasby emphasized the group’s need for a break. 

“Our guys will be able to refresh their minds and bodies for the second half,” said Shasby. 



The Seawolves will return to the ice on Jan. 13 to take on Alaska Fairbanks in Fairbanks. 

Anchorage fans are encouraged to join the official watch party at Las Margaritas, located at 541 W. Dimond Blvd.